Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Winter Break Narrative

      The most memorable part of my break was Christmas Day. It was the first Christmas away from my family so it was a very odd experience but at the same time it was pleasant. Even though it was hard for me to enjoy the holiday I still tried to find a way to get into the spirit. Since I can’t go on passes yet, hearing my sister talk about what my family was doing hurt me but I wasn’t going to let that bring me down and ruin my day. I’m also glad I did that otherwise I would’ve had a bad memory of this Christmas.
      When I woke up Christmas morning there was a pile of gifts already under the tree. I was surprised because I didn’t think I would get that much and my house parents acted like they didn’t buy us any. I can’t believe I actually fell for that! I opened up boxes of shoes, jewelry, make-up and a lot more. I’m very grateful for what I received and it even put me in a better mood that day. One of my favorite presents was an amethyst on a gold chain necklace that I got from my houseparents. It was very pretty and it meant a lot that they chose that as a gift because it shows they put a lot of effort towards us. I’m also thankful that we got gift cards too.
     Later, my house parents cooked a lavish dinner which was mostly Thanksgiving food. We had other houseparents over to eat, too. One of my favorite dishes was a cranberry dessert which had Jell-O, almonds, cranberries, and mandarin oranges. It looked like throw up but it was so good! I don’t know why but honestly it didn’t really feel like Christmas. It was probably because I’m used spending the holidays with my whole family and there I was spending it with people I’ve only known for less than 2 months. But I learned from all of this by preparing myself to be away from them like in situations when I’m older and in college. And I’m glad I got to spend it with my house because it all reminds me of home.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a great break. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete